Welcome to Schenectady Home Furnishings Program!
The Schenectady Home Furnishings Program was founded in 1968 by members of Church Women United and over 40 years later continues its unique mission as a registered non-profit.
We are a registered non-profit organization dedicated to providing usable donated furniture and household furnishings to families and individuals in transition from emergency situations such as
- domestic violence
- hospital or nursing home discharge
- mental illness
To Accomplish It, We…
- Collect beds, dressers, kitchen sets, living room furniture, small appliances and household goods from donors
- Sort and store donations at our warehouse
- Serve clients screened and referred to us by over 25 social service agencies and local clergy
- Deliver large items (as they are available) by truck
- Make appointments for clients to pick up small items at “Elsie’s Room” (next to our office at 603 State Street)
- Schedule 2 to 4 truck runs weekly to fulfill our needs
We do all of this at no charge… by relying on our network of volunteers, one part-time paid Program Coordinator, and a truck driver paid for 16 hours per week.
We Make a Difference in People’s Lives
So Can YOU!