Give money to the Schenectady Home Furnishings Program (and help us recycle good quality furnishings to those in need rather than over-loading land-fills!)
Give What You Can – Every Little Bit Helps!
- $10 buys a set of towels
- $25 buys a warm comforter/blanket
- $100 buys one twin mattress set
- $500 keeps our truck on the road for month
- $5300 finances our monthly operating costs
It Costs Money to Operate
Our costs: $63,050 in 2014
- Program Coordinator’s salary
- Vehicle expenses
- Warehouse and office utilities
- Truck driver paid by a 3-year grant from Union Presbyterian Church
Our Income Sources:
- Individual donors
- Congregations, businesses, community groups
- Fundraising or other sales of items not suitable for clients
- Grants as needed for projects: Truck/warehouse repairs, office upgrades, etc
With your help, we contribute approximately $350,000 worth of household goods to low-income Schenectady families per year – a big bang for your contribution dollar!
- Designated Contributions
- “Bucks for Beds” (see below)
- “Elsie’s room”: to purchase small household items such as can openers, spatulas, cutlery
- Contributions towards our operating budget
The number one request among those referred to us by social service agencies is for beds. The demand is so high that it used to backlog our whole system. In 2010 we established a “Bucks for Beds” fund designated for purchase of mattresses/foundations (mostly twin sized to meet the needs of children). Each year since, we have succeeded in raising $5000 – $8500 for this purpose. In 2015, our goal is to raise $10,000 and to have it matched by the Schenectady Foundation’s $10,000 grant for a total of $20,000. The Schenectady Home Furnishings Program is a registered 501(c)(3) charity, eligible for GE matching funds* and included in CFC and SEFA campaigns. *The GE Foundation Matching Gifts Program supports GE employees and retirees in their personal philanthropic efforts by matching individual contributions of $25 or more. If you are a GE employee or retiree and would like more information or would like to register for the GE Matching Gifts Program, click here.
Send checks to: Schenectady Home Furnishings Program 603 State St. Schenectady, NY 12305
Donate Online: To make an online donation using a credit card, please click on the button below. Credit card transactions will be processed by PayPal over a secure server.*
The value of one furniture delivery is valued at an average of $500; we estimate each major piece of furniture to be worth $100 depending on size and quality, and the average delivery is about 5 such pieces: bed, couch/loveseat, kitchen table and chairs, dresser, and end/coffee tables. A typical truck run includes five stops; usually 3 deliveries followed by 3 donation pickups.
16 truck runs a month = 48 deliveries per month x 12 months per year = Value of $288,000 per year